Elgg is an open source social networking framework. It provides the necessary functionality that allows you to run your own social networking site, whether publicly (like Facebook) or internally on a networked intranet (like Microsoft Sharepoint). To run Elgg, you need to have Apache web server, PHP5.2+ and MySQL 5+.
Elgg comes with advanced user management and administration, social networking, cross-site tagging, powerful access control lists, internationalization support, multiple view support (eg cell phones, iPhone), an advanced templating engine, a widget framework and more. You can also use plugins to add more features like: Blogs, Bookmarks, File repository, Message board, Private messaging, Pages, Activity, Microblogging, etc.
- User, object, file and site management
- Social graph functionality (relationships between users and other users, objects and sites)
- Easy internationalization support
- System-wide, tag-based searching across all content and users
- Fine-grained access controls
- Multiple views, allowing for mobile applications and embeddable widgets as well as the traditional web browser view
- Plugin APIs
- Powerful theming through the plugin API
- RSS and FOAF for content syndication
- OpenID and LDAP for user authentication
- An extensible RESTful API, with results in JSON, serialised PHP or XML
- AJAX through jQuery and user-definable callbacks
- Easy extension for use with caching systems such as memcached, for increased system performance (experimental)
- Use of multiple database connections for scalability (still in development)