Web2py is free and open source full-stack enterprise framework for agile development of fast, scalable, secure and portable database-driven web-based applications. Written and programmable in Python.
Web2py was inspired by Ruby on Rails and, as Rails, it focuses on rapid development and follows a Model View Controller design. But web2py is based on Python and provides a comprehensive web-based administrative interface, includes libraries to handle more protocols, and can run on the Google App Engine.
Web2py was also inspired by Django and, as Django, it has the ability to generate forms from database tables and it includes an extensive set of validators. But it is more compact, easier to learn and does not have any project-level configuration files. It is less verbose than Java-based frameworks and its syntax is much cleaner than PHP-based frameworks. This makes applications simpler to developer, easier to read and maintain.
- SSL-enabled and streaming-capable web server
- Relational database
- Web-based integrated development environment
- Web-based management interface
- Database Abstraction Layer that writes SQL for you in real time
- Internationalization support
- Multiple authentication methods
- Role based access control
- Error logging and ticketing system
- Multiple caching methods for scalability
- jQuery library for AJAX and effects
Web2py can run on Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux, Google App Engine, Amazon EC2, and almost any web hosting via Python 2.4/2.5/2.6, or Java with Jython. It is available under the GPL2 License with an exception for easier commercialization of applications. You can find further information, demos, documentation & download on Web2py’s Website.