One of the key reason behind jQuery’s popularity is an organized community and official repository of plugins and other resources. Unfortunately MooTools have so far failed to provide this platform; leaving its resources scattered and developers on their own.
UPDATE: MooTools finally launched MooTools Forge – the official MooTools plugins repository on 10th December 2009. Continue reading this article, it is still useful…
Purpose of this article is to compile a list of useful MooTools resources scattered all over the web. Some efforts are underway both officially and unofficially for a MooTools plugin repository, but until then you may find this list helpful in locating useful plugins and other resources for MooTools. First of all, here is a list of official and some unofficial resources that you may already be familiar with:
- The Official MooTools Website
- Unofficial MooTools Forum
- A MooTools Tutorial – The Mootorial
- MooTools on Twitter
Plugins – Blaze of Glory
If you are looking for really generic plugins, checkout official plugins known as MooTools More. You should also checkout Clientcide Libraries & User Submitted Scrits at the Unofficial MooTools Forum. You must also checkout eSteak – an exchange platform for MooTools-plugin files (it makes downloading plugins easy by automatically taking care for the dependencies). Here is a list of direct links to some of the plugins you may find useful:
- Events Calendar – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to embed a calendar into your webpage using MooTools.
- DatePicker – (MooTools 1.2)
Highly configurable date picker component with smooth animation, works for any date-format and even supports time-picking.
- datePicker – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to add highly customizable date picker in your web page.
- Ajax Calendar – (MooTools 1.2)
Unobtrusive web version of the slick Windows Vista taskbar calendar, by using the MooTools, AJAX, XHTML, CSS and PHP.
- Calendar – (MooTools 1.1)
- TimeSpinner – (MooTools 1.1)
Allow user to quickly inc/dec a time – mainly for events, schedules, range selections etc.
- MorphList – (MooTools 1.2)
MorphList (formerly SlideList, aka Fancy Menu) is a tiny MooTools plugin to animate lists of objects with a morphing background.
- Typewriter Effect – (MooTools 1.2)
Smooth, customizable MooTools class that creates a typewriter effect.
- Reflection.js – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to add instantaneous reflection effects to your images in modern browsers.
- APNG – (MooTools 1.2)
provides simple frame-based animation functionality. It’s main goal is solve the problem of animating alpha-transparent images (PNG format).
- Flashlight Effect – (MooTools 1.2)
Flashlight effect for your background using MooTools.
- mParallax – (MooTools 1.2)
An adaptation for MooTools framework of jParallax.
- FancyUpload – (MooTools 1.2)
FancyUpload is a file-input replacement which features an unobtrusive, multiple-file selection menu and queued upload with an animated progress bar.
- FileManager – (MooTools 1.2)
Web based filemanager that allows you to (pre)view, upload and modify files and folders via your browser.
- FormCheck – (MooTools 1.2)
FormCheck is a class that allows you to perform different tests on form to validate them before submission.
- FancyForm – (MooTools 1.2)
Checkbox replacement script that allows you change the appearance and function of HTML form elements. It’s accessible, easy to use and degrades gracefully on all older, non-supporting browsers.
- AutoCompleter – (MooTools 1.2)
Provides the functionality for text suggestion and completion.
- MavSuggest – (MooTools 1.2)
An autocomplete (or text suggestion) mootools library which is able to query it’s results from a server-side script, or a local cache of JSON objects.
- AutoGrow Textarea – (MooTools 1.2)
Expands a textarea as the user types in text.
- MavSelectBox – (MooTools 1.2)
A simple-to-use form select replacement that allows for better customization.
- Multiple File Uploader – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to creates a form with multiple file uploads using MooTools.
- TextboxList – (MooTools 1.2)
Turns normal textboxes into a widget which can be navigated with the keyboard, effectively turning your input into a “list” of items that can be easily deleted. It comes with an Autocomplete plugin.
- WYSIWYG – (MooTools 1.2)
Textarea replacement for WYSIWYG text editing.
- Multiple Select Widget – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows to add a custom style to html multiple select boxes.
- Phatfusion Slider – (MooTools 1.1)
Adds horizontal or vertical slider to change values.
- Phatfusion Validate – (MooTools 1.1)
Validates for fields using MooTools.
- fValidator – (MooTools 1.1)
- MooFlow – (MooTools 1.2)
MooFlow is an open source, cross browser cover flow type image gallery.
- UvumiTools Gallery – (MooTools 1.2)
Easy to use, unobtrusive, handles missing images and works in all the major web browsers. Powered by MooTools, this photo gallery offers transition/effects comparable to Flash based galleries.
- Slideshow 2! – (MooTools 1.2)
- XTC Product Slider – (MooTools 1.2)
Fully AJAX based slider. The slides defined can hold any HTML or flash content. All slides as well as the container can be styled via CSS.
- SlideItMoo – (MooTools 1.2)
Browser friendly and nicely degradable plugin for sliding images
- BarackSlideshow – (MooTools 1.2)
Lightweight slideshow script, that takes the power of MorphList to enhance visualization and navigation of the images.
- JSGallery2 – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to add a simple photo gallery with support for thumbnails and paging.
- mooStack – (MooTools 1.2)
Stacks multiple divs one on top of the other and then lets you slide through, as if you would with photographs in your hands.
- noobSlide – (MooTools 1.2)
Highly customizable plugin to create image slideshows, photo galleries and sliders.
- iCarousel – (MooTools 1.1)
iCarousel is an open source script for creating carousel like widgets.
- SmoothGallery – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows you to have simple and smooth (cross-fading…) image galleries, slideshows, showcases and other cool stuff on your website.
- Phatfusion Slideshow – (MooTools 1.1)
Features fade, slide and wipe transitions; loops; play, stop, next and previous controls.
- RokSlideshow – (MooTools 1.1)
allows you to quickly and easily display a selection of images and transition between them.
- Lasso.Crop – (MooTools 1.2)
- Slimbox – (MooTools 1.2)
Slimbox is a 4 KB visual clone of the popular Lightbox 2 script by Lokesh Dhakar.
- ReMooz – (MooTools 1.2)
Creates unobtrusive inline-pop-ups enabling your visitors to browse through content, such as thumbnail images and HTML.
- MooSound – (MooTools 1.2)
MooSound is a MooTools API for Flash-enabled sound management.
- Bumpbox – (MooTools 1.2)
a lightbox alternative with support for images, html, flv, swf and PDF files.
- Milkbox – (MooTools 1.2)
Easy to implement lightbox that allows you to add images, flash video, photos, and XML galleries.
- mediaboxAdvanced – (MooTools 1.2)
- SqueezeBox – (MooTools 1.2)
An unobtrusive LightBox inspired overlay, for modal boxed content on your site. It’s a snap to show images but just as easy to use HTML elements, Ajax requests, iFrames, SWF movies and more.
- QuickBox – (MooTools 1.2)
A Lightbox clone; written for speed, allowing you to zip through images as quickly as possible.
- MooPix – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows you to access your public Flickr photos using MooTools.
- Phatfusion Multibox – (MooTools 1.1)
Lightbox that supports images, flash, video, mp3s, html.
- Phatfusion Lightbox – (MooTools 1.1)
An inline image popup, overlays and fades out the current page.
- Pamoorama – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows you to display long panoramic image in your web page.
- Slide Puzzle – (MooTools 1.0)
Allows you to create a slide puzzle from an image.
- MenuMatic – (MooTools 1.2)
- UvumiTools Dropdown Menu – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to create multi-level horizontal menu from an HTML unordered list.
- BySlideMenu – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to easily create a beautiful accordion menu (sliding menu) on any element you want (ul/li, div, p …) using images and/or text.
- UvumiTools DockMenu – (MooTools 1.2)
- SmoothScroll – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to smoothly take a user to a specific portion of a page.
- ContextMenu – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to offer stylish, functional context menus on your website.
- Phatfusion Image Menu – (MooTools 1.1)
Horizontal accordian like menu, reveals more of the image as you rollover it.
- MooModernizr– (MooTools 1.2)
Detects CCS3 capabilities in browsers & provides tests for a variety of CSS3/HTML features.
- Moousture – (MooTools 1.2)
- MooColumns – (MooTools 1.2)
MooColumns allows you to divide content into multiple columns quickly and easily.
- MooScroll – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to customize how the scrollbar looks on scrollable divs.
- MooRainbow – (MooTools 1.2)
color picker powered by MooTools.
- CountDown – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to easily add countdown that make user wait an allotted amount of time.
- TwitterGitter – (MooTools 1.2)
Provides easy access and formatting functionality for Twitter tweets.
- MooSocialize – (MooTools 1.2)
Based on AJAX, this small widget allows to integrate many many bookmarks for every post on your blog, website etc.
- Lighter.js – (MooTools 1.2)
Syntax highlighting for MooTools
- HistoryManager – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows history handling for multiple modules. It solves the typical “Back-Button” and “Ajax Bookmarks” problems for accessible browsing and a better usability in Rich Internet applications.
- MooTabs – (MooTools 1.2)
A tiny(3kb) class for MooTools. As the name suggests, it’s main purpose is to help out with the creation of simple tab navigation.
- SimpleTabs – (MooTools 1.2)
Small, simple and unobtrusive Tab plugin for MooTools including support for Ajax content.
- Sliding Tabs – (MooTools 1.1)
Allows you to add a clone of Coda slider.
- OmniGrid – (MooTools 1.2)
adds rich functionality to your data grid / tables. Includes advance features like: pagination, server-side and client-side sorting, filter, ability to connect on every database using AJAX, multiple selection and resizable columns.
- MooDataTable – (MooTools 1.2)
Data table for MooTools features include: smart pagination, column Sorting, request data via AJAX, one page at a time, works with any server-side script as long as it returns a JSON dataset and easy to style via CSS.
- TableGear – (MooTools 1.2)
Make the tables dynamic including sorting, editing and keyboard shortcuts.
- ZebraTable – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you add simple mouseenter/mouseout and click table row highlighting.
- Phatfusion Sortablle Table – (MooTools 1.1)
Features filtering on columns; sort numbers, strings, dates and currency.
- Roar – (MooTools 1.2)
Notification widget that streamlines incoming messages, such as updates or errors, without distracting the user from their browser experience or breaking their work-flow by displaying obtrusive alerts.
- Show/Hide Login Panel – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to show/hide login panel on top of your webpage.
- mooSlide – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to slide content into view from top of the page as well as from the bottom, and can also be used to create nice looking login panels.
- MavDialog – (MooTools 1.2)
A light-weight, easy to use and customizable replacement for system dialog windows.
- Windows Growl – (MooTools 1.2)
Allows you to add Growl like notification window in you web page.
- Notimoo – (MooTools 1.2)
This is a small plugin (4kb) inspired by Mac OS application ‘Growl’. The idea is to provide web developers with a tool that can be used to display notifications to web users.
Developers – Living on a Prayer
There are many individuals and groups who utilize MooTools, but it seems like quite a lot of them don’t like to talk much. Developers’ talk and comments are really valuable, and MooTools Official Blog is a great starting point. Here is a list (in alphabetical order) of developers who actively share their ideas, news and thoughts if you want to look beyond the official blog:
- Aaron Newton
- Antonio Lupetti
- Constantin Boiangiu
- David Walsh
- Garrick Cheung
- Guillermo Rauch
- Harald Kirschner
- Jan Kassens
- Lennart Pilon
- Nathon White
- Sebastian Markbåge
Communities – Keep The Faith
Another great way to learn and share ideas is to join online community of people with same interests. Here is a small list of MooTools related communities we found:
- Unofficial MooTools Forum
- MooTools Users Group
- IRC Channel
- MooTools Group on Facebook
- Support MooTools on Twitter With Twibbon
Cheat Sheets – Bad Medicine
Here is list of free MooTool cheat sheets that you can download for quick reference during your development:
- MooTools 1.2 Cheat Sheet – By Verwandte Artikel
- Mootools Off-line Documentation – Version 1.11 and 1.2 as CHM Files
- Mootools Cheat Sheet – By Jonathan Snook
Comparison – Someday I’ll Be Saturday Night
If you are still uncertain about MooTools, following resources will help you compare MooTools with other frameworks:
- jQuery vs MooTools
- SlickSpeed – Speed/Validity Selectors Test for Frameworks
- MooTools vs JQuery vs Prototype vs YUI vs Dojo Comparison Revised
Extensions – We Got It Going On
Following libraries offer collection of specialized features and functions based on MooTools framework:
Additional Resources – Wanted Dead or Alive
General resources, directories & roundups where you will be able to find new plugins, articles, tutorial, news & updates:
- Links to Other Tutorials and Resources at MooTorial
- 30 Days of Mootools 1.2 Tutorials
- Learning MooTools: 20 MooTools Tutorials and Examples
- 6 Helpful MooTools Video Tutorials
- 25 Useful MooTools Tutorials
- Other Sites: Ajaxian , DevSnippets, AjaxRain, Hot!Ajax, Mootools Link List
- MooTools Tutorials and Resources Round-Up
Finally I must acknowledge Bon Jovi for great song titles, which were really helpful in creating subheadings for this post. Please feel free to suggest any additions to this list. You may also want to look at: